The Core Curriculum ensures that every student within the Program has the same knowledge basis in key areas of Bioinformatics and Systems Biology. The Electives are intended to provide students with in-depth courses related to their own research interests.
In addition, students must also take
- The colloquium for their track (BNFO 281 for BISB track; MED 262 for BMI track) for fall, winter, and spring quarters of their first two years.
- Student Research Talks (BNFO 283) in fall, winter, and spring quarters their first two years.
- One of two ethics courses (SOMI 226 or BIOM 219) within the first two years. Funding sources may require it be taken in the first year, so we recommend taking it by spring of the first year.
- The Research Rotation requirement (BNFO 298 for 4 units) in the fall, winter, and spring quarters of the first year.
- Research units (BNFO 299) with their dissertation advisor after joining a lab.
- Two quarters as a teaching assistant (BNFO 500 or corresponding codes in other departments).
Read more about Bioinformatics and Systems Biology Graduate Program